10.26.2010

our Kansas prairie



Redefining school boundaries is always a hot topic. The following is a letter to the editor that my co-worker, Jan, had published in the Kansas City Star on Saturday, October 23rd.


Cheers for Shawnee Mission North High

As a parent of two students who graduated from Shawnee Mission North and a teacher in the Shawnee Mission School District, I would like to respond to the recent parental concerns about the educational standards of Shawnee Mission North High School. I can personally attest to the excellence of North at all levels.

My son received advanced instruction in college-level mathematics courses taught by an instructor with his doctorate in math. While attending Princeton University, he took a comparable math course that he thought was taught at an inferior level to the course he had taken at North.

However, I feel Shawnee Mission North’s outstanding feature is its diversity. My daughter had a friend who spent a summer in New York City. When I asked her what it was like in such a diverse city, she responded, “It was really just like being at North.”
I think that is the highest compliment a school can receive, to say it has prepared its students both academically and personally to be citizens of the global community.


Jan McConnell
Overland Park

2 comments:

Degolar said...

Love it! Both the photo and the letter.

scott said...

beautiful photo. i think it looks even nicer against the white background of your page.

Related Posts with Thumbnails